Superb RGS take Modus Cup from King’s Worcester

RGS Worcester produced a brilliant performance to cast aside King’s Worcester at Sixways last night to win the annual Modus Cup fro the first time since 2009.

In front of thousands of supporters, producing one of the greatest atmospheres in school rugby, RGS came back from an 8-5 halftime deficit to win the game 15-8, sparking jubilant celebration from those of an RGS persuasion.

It was a deserved victory, RGS played with ambition right from the very beginning and, particularly in the first half, dominated most of the more threatening possession and territory.

King’s Worcester are no fools though and despite being under pressure for long periods they defended solidly and used the experienced gained in their brilliant season last year to make sure that they always remained in with a shout in this match.

Indeed it was King’s who took the lead through an early Bowles penalty, however it was to be short lived as RGS soon began to find their feet and with them their fluency in attack.

They were playing the game at an almost frantic pace but it was causing the King’s defence no end of problems as they worked hard to realign. Using that, RGS took the opportunity to spread the ball wide to Grant on the wing who, from just outside the 22, showed a scorching turn of pace to finish well.

Tromans failed to land the conversion but the slender 5-3 lead was no less than RGS deserved. King’s did what they could to try to take the sting out of the game but with RGS running everything back at them the game almost seemed to step up from fast paced to lightening.

RGS twice more threatened the King’s line but failed to cross the whitewash and it was King’s who were to land the final blow of the half. Some neat phase play from some of their heavy runners created the opportunity for their backs to shift into gear and shift into gear they did, a delightful offload releasing their winger, Kerley, to steam home and give his side the lead, sending the King’s faithful into a half time delirium.

RGS must have been stunned to find themselves 8-5 down at the break and they could easily have collapsed at that point, however they came back out for the second half with the air of a side that had a renewed sense of determination.

Where the first half had been a game of exhibition style rugby the second half produced a far more controlled and tactical game. It was cup final rugby, and given that this was a game with a trophy and local bragging rights at stake, that only served to make it a more intense affair.

King’s too were looking ready for a second half battle and to begin with it was a more even game than the first half, however after some sustained and composed pressure from RGS, stemming from a brilliantly executed rolling maul, their captain, Harry Bee, barged over to regain the lead for his side. Tromans converted to give them a 12-8 lead and the edge is the battle for control but there was still plenty of time left to go.

The try sent the RGS faithful wild but they were soon back to biting their fingernails as this tense half of rugby continued to hang in the balance. King’s missed a couple of difficult penalty chances as they tried to close the gap but far from reassure RGS it seemed only to heighten the tension.

Possession wise King’s were still struggling though and because of that RGS were able to mount some good attacking play. Another series of heavy drives looked likely to yield another try and take the game to safety but King’s played the only card they could and killed the ball, giving RGS a penalty.

Bee was in no doubt as to the right answer and pointed straight at the sticks and Tromans slapped over what must have been the most high pressure three points of his career with brilliant composure.

With just five minutes left on the clock and a 15-8 lead all RGS had to do was control the ball and see out the game and that was exactly what they did, controlling possession before gladly accepting the final whistle, sparking magnificent scenes of joy from the RGS players, coaches, and supporters alike.

It was a superb victory and a deserved victory but King’s deserve much credit for the way that they took the first half despite the tide of the game being against them, and then forced the second half into a style of game that was much more to their liking.

That RGS were able to be the more dominant side either side of half time despite the contrast in styles was a credit to them though.

It does not take much imagine to see that the Modus Cup will sit very proudly at RGS Worcester today, it was a fantastic game of rugby and as good an advert for school rugby as there can be.

Full Time: RGS Worcester 15-8 King’s School Worcester

Leave a Response

Leave a Reply

Related Articles

Back to top