Warwick U15s seal back to back NatWest Cup titles

Warwick sealed back to back U15 NatWest Cup titles after a late first half try and some outstanding defence saw them oust QEGS Wakefield 17-0.

Extraordinarily it was exactly the same two sides lining up against each other as at this stage last year, all the more extraordinary because of the high player turnaround given that rugby is played by year at these age groups.

Mentally though that will have given Warwick a slight edge given their victory last year, however the game began in a very tense manner, with neither side wishing to risk too much.

However as the half wore on Warwick really began to build some pressure, with QEGS having to make a number of last ditch, try-saving, tackles. That sort of pressure can only be held at bay for so long, and so it proved as eventually Warwick moved the ball from one side of the pitch to the other for Dylan Badhan to go crashing over with the final play of the half.

It was a crucial time to score, leaving QEGS on the back foot at the break when they would have been feeling reasonably happy with things before then.

They did respond though, coming firing out at Warwick in the second half. Frankly, were it not for Warwick’s organized and outstanding defending in the first half of the second period, they might not have won this game. Nick David at full back had to make a couple of crucial hits, while Will Tanner on the left wing had to use the touchline as his friend on a number of occasions.

The champions saw off that period well though and soon came into a period of dominance themselves as they began so sense that back to back Cup glory was upon them.

As the game moved into the final ten minutes they strung together some strong possession, driving into the QEGS half as the Wakefield side tried desperately to keep them out.

They succeeded initially however some brilliant driving work saw Warwick’s big second row, Oliver Richardson, surge over to seal the victory for his side.

There were still seven or eight minutes left on the clock though, and with a couple of injury breaks included in that it was a reasonably nervy closing stage for both sides.

Warwick have the experience of winning this great trophy before though and with a couple of minutes to play they expertly began to slow the game down, even allowing the coaches the luxury of bringing on their subs to give them all that Twickenham experience.

It might have felt like a long couple of minutes but Warwick were not about to let that happen as with a party atmosphere already fully underway with their brilliant supporters Theo Spencer went absolutely flying over on the left hand side to stretch the lead out even further.

Ben Harding landed a tough conversion with the very last touch of the game, sending Warwick’s loyal and loud support into ecstasy as they secured their second U15 Cup victory in succession and set up the opportunity for their 1st XV to set up a special U15 and U18 double.

QEGS Wakefield

15 Harry Clibbens  14 Tom Jenkinson  13 Joe Gatus  12 Luke Adams  11 Chesachi Hani-Okaroafor  10 Henry Wright  9 Sam Tovey;  1 Harvey Farrar  2 Nathan Youngs (captain)  3 Callum Farley  4 Edan Kelly  5 Sachin Gogna  6 Max Hanson  7 Joey Selim  8 George Charnock.

Replacements: 16 Tom Hewson  17 Sufyaan Rafi  18 Ben Eames  19 Ben Whyte  20 Tom Stephenson  21 Tom Alderton  22 Tom Macrow.


15 Nick David  14 Will Tanner  13 Paulo Peschisolido  12 Theo Spencer  11 Dylan Badhan  10 Ben Harding  9 Sam Forster;  1 Tristan Brooker  2 Martin Ho  3 Oran Aske-Haley  4 Oliver Thorneywork  5 Oliver Richardson  6 Jack Firth  7 Will Fawcett  8 Nick Rigby (captain).

Replacements: 16 Sam Hill  17 Zach Shirley  18 James McSharry  19 Harvey Innocent  20 Colia Louis  21 Joe Graham  22 Charles Arnault.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on google
Leave a Response

Leave a Reply

Related Articles


Back to top